Positions are open on a rotating basis among country programs, depending on the availability of funding, mentors and projects.
If you have questions after reviewing all of the information on this website, please contact Dr. Leo Ortiz by phone at 831.462.1357.
You may apply in one of the three ways:
- If you have seen a current posting for a specific UCSC-MHIRT program, follow the instructions on the posting.
- If you have not seen a current posting but are interested in a specific country program, submit your application to Dr. Leo Ortiz and include in your email an explanation of why you are interested in a particular country program.
- If you have not seen a current posting and are generally interested in openings across all country programs, submit your application to Dr. Leo Ortiz and include in your email that you would like to be considered for any openings.
IF YOU HAVE SEEN A CURRENT POSTING FOR A SPECIFIC UCSC-MHIRT PROGRAM, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE POSTING.
For other applications, include the following:
- Curriculum Vitae/Résumé including name, permanent and current addresses, date of birth, social security number, phone, e-mail, GPA, and complete educational and employment history.
- A 2-3 page essay including information on your background (e.g., family history, ethnicity, previous laboratory research, education, travel experience, etc.) and your career goals (including how you think a MHIRT fellowship will help you attain these goals).
- Two letters of recommendation, including from someone who has directly supervised you in a research setting (e.g., graduate student, technician, postdoctoral researcher, or professor). Please have the people supplying letters of recommendation submit them directly as attachments through the contact page, with “LoR [your last name]” in the subject line.
Please make sure your contact information is current. If there are questions about your application packet, you will be contacted by phone or email.